The United States and South Africa have announced that the 20th AGOA Forum will be held in Johannesburg, South Africa from November 2-4, 2023. The Forum will bring together governments, businesses, and civil society from the United States and sub-Saharan Africa to discuss ways to strengthen trade and investment ties and promote economic growth and development.
AGOA, the African Growth and Opportunity Act, is a trade agreement that provides duty-free access to the U.S. market for over 1,800 products from eligible sub-Saharan African countries. The program has been credited with helping to boost economic growth and create jobs in Africa.
The 20th AGOA Forum will focus on the following key areas:
- Strengthening trade and investment ties: The Forum will explore ways to increase trade and investment flows between the United States and sub-Saharan Africa, including through the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
- Promoting resilient, sustainable, and inclusive economic growth: The Forum will discuss policies and programs to support economic growth that benefits all Africans, including women, youth, and vulnerable groups.
- Making AGOA more transformative: The Forum will explore ways to make AGOA more effective in promoting economic development in Africa.
The Forum is expected to be attended by senior government officials, business leaders, and civil society representatives from the United States and sub-Saharan Africa. It will also feature an exhibition of products made in Africa.
Why is the 20th AGOA Forum important?
The 20th AGOA Forum is an important opportunity to reaffirm the United States’ commitment to economic partnership with sub-Saharan Africa. It also comes at a critical time, as the continent recovers from the COVID-19 pandemic and implements the AfCFTA.
The Forum is a chance for governments, businesses, and civil society to come together and discuss how to best work together to promote trade, investment, and economic growth in Africa. It is also an opportunity to make AGOA more effective in supporting African development.
What are the expected outcomes of the 20th AGOA Forum?
The 20th AGOA Forum is expected to produce a number of concrete outcomes, including:
- A renewed commitment to trade and investment between the United States and sub-Saharan Africa: The Forum is expected to produce a joint statement from the United States and AGOA countries reaffirming their commitment to working together to strengthen trade and investment ties.
- A roadmap for making AGOA more transformative: The Forum is expected to produce a roadmap for making AGOA more effective in promoting economic development in Africa. This roadmap could include specific measures to increase trade, boost investment, and support capacity building.
- New partnerships and initiatives: The Forum is expected to generate new partnerships and initiatives between governments, businesses, and civil society organizations working to promote trade and investment in Africa.
The 20th AGOA Forum is a significant event that has the potential to make a real difference in the lives of Africans. By strengthening trade and investment ties, promoting resilient, sustainable, and inclusive economic growth, and making AGOA more transformative, the Forum can help to create a more prosperous and equitable future for Africa.